This tutorial will show you how to make 3D gradient logo in minutes. This technique is great for making 3D graphic objects and icons.
Version: Illustrator CS2
1. 3D text
2. 3D Extrude & Bevel
3. Expand Appearance
Now go to Object > Expand Appearance to remove all effects and convert to paths. After the text object is expanded, Ungrounp the object by Object > Ungroup or press Ctrl+Shift+G. You probably need to do Ungroup 4-5 times in order to break the object apart.
4. Merge pathsSelect the round corner paths and merge them together by the Pathfinder tool. Hold down Alt key, click on the Add to shape area and the selected paths will be merged. Repeat this step to clean up all round corner paths.
5. Apply gradientSelect the top level paths and apply a yellow-green color gradient.
6. EyedropperSelect the back(depth) paths, use the Eyedropper tool and click on the front paths. This will copy the gradient fill.
7. DarkenKeep the back paths selected, go to Gradient pallete and adjust the gradient colors to darker tone.
8. 3D logoYou can use this technique to make 3D objects from any shape, text, etc.Here are the steps:
Apply 3D Extrude & Bevel effect
- Expand object
- Ungroup object
- Apply gradient
- Eyedropper gradient fill